How do you know if your host is a keeper or a loser? It’s kind of like dating—there are signs galore, but you need to know what you’re looking for. When there are thousands of host available, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. Settling for “good enough” won’t make you happy in the long run (whether we’re talking about a potential spouse or a web host!). Fortunately, signs of a great host are just as obvious as red flags once you know the parameters. Is your host treating you right?
There are a few nuances depending on your unique needs, but for the most part the “good signs” are the same across the board. Here are a few ways to know if your host is one of the good guys, a keeper, and doing you right:
- They don’t lock you down: This is where dating and web hosting really differ. A solid web host isn’t so adamant to keep you that they’ll force you into a tough contract. Instead, they offer a generous trial period and it’s easy to switch hosts if you’d like. They’re confident in the quality of their service, and know they can keep you with that alone.
- They spice things up with variety: A great web host doesn’t offer just the minimum. They’re always looking for ways to improve your experience, especially as technology advances. A great sign is when they offer virtual private server/VPS hosting (pro tip: Most web hosts don’t). This tells you that they’re truly putting your best interests at heart instead of doing the minimum possible to keep you satisfied.
- They make it easy to connect: Communication is key in any relationship, including the one with your web host. Some of the bigger companies understandably have some level of CS automation, but it should still be quick and easy to connect with a real, live person when you wish. In fact, you should be able to reach them on your own terms around the clock. If you can’t, they’re not playing hard to get—they really just don’t care that much.
- They’re open and honest: This is yet another quality you want to find in every relationship. A great host gets that you probably don’t know all the techie terms and jargon. They’re happy to explain everything to you and don’t talk in circles. Everything is transparent, from their pricing to their contracts. They should be happy to explain things to you, especially since things can be confusing in a new relationship!
- They have great reviews: There are some dating sites where you can “endorse” the person you went on a date with—perhaps bettering their odds for dating someone else! That kind of thing works when it comes to romance, but not with web hosting. A host should have largely great reviews so you can see others have approved them.
How does your web host stack up? If they’re left wanting, it might be time for you to move on.